Have you ever had “too much of a good thing”? I know I have! (leftover Halloween candy, anyone?)
Did you know that Shakespeare coined the term?! It’s true, in As You Like It, act IV, scene i.
- Orlando. And wilt thou have me?
- Rosalind. Ay, and twenty such.
- Orlando. What sayest thou?
- Rosalind. Are you not good?
- Orlando. I hope so.
- Rosalind. Why then, can one desire too much of a good thing? Come, sister, you shall be the priest, and marry us. Give me your hand, Orlando. What do you say, sister?
- Orlando. Pray thee, marry us.
Basically, Shakespeare is asking if excess can bring you harm. Is this relevant today? OF COURSE IT IS!
Is too much t.v. bad for kids? Is too much candy bad for your teeth? Is too much Kim Kardashian news coverage bad for society?
Well of course! Moderation is key…unless we’re talking about theatre, in which case you can never get enough!