Shakespeare in Action is back in action after a restful summer break, and we are ready to bring you another great season for the 2015/16 school year! Whether you are looking to bring The Bard to your classroom, or your entire school, Shakespeare in Action has a program to meet your needs. Take a look below to read about all of the great things we have in store for the next year!
Shakespeare Meets Hip Hop– School Tour, Nov 23- Dec 4, 2015 and April 18- May 6, 2016
Returning for the 2015/16 season by popular demand, Shakespeare Meets Hip Hop is avibrant, interactive presentation that demonstrates how modern hip-hop shares many similarities with the themes, language and rhythm used by Shakespeare. Both are full of poetry, word play and lyricism, and both deal with what it is to be human.
Shakespeare Meets Hip Hop brings alive the parallels between the world of the plays and their own contemporary experience. It’s the perfect complement to your in-class teaching of a specific play, in the beginning, in the middle or at the end.
Visit our website for more information, or to book your school today!
Masterclass Workshops– Available from September- July!
- 75-minute exploration of any Shakespeare play.
- An opportunity to work with an experienced actor-educator who visits your school.
- A chance for students to be on their feet, exploring the text through voice and movement exercises.
- For Kindergarten – Grade 12, up to 30 students per workshop.
- Programs available for ELL, ESL/EDL students.
For more information, or to book a workshop, please visit our website!
Suddenly Shakespeare– Tour, April 4-15, 2016
Shakespeare in Action brings Kim Selody’s sparking production of Suddenly Shakespeare to your school in the Spring of 2016!
This hour long performance brings four of Shakespeare’s best-loved plays –Romeo and Juliet, The Tempest, Macbeth and Twelfth Night – to life for children ages five to seventy-five. Featuring music, dance and physical comedy, the performance is the perfect introduction to Shakespeare for young audiences. Make this a must see culture event for your students in the spring of 2016!
Visit our website to find out how to reserve your spot today!
School Residencies– Available from September- June!
- An in-depth study of a Shakespeare play over several weeks.
- An opportunity to work with a professional actor-educator who visits your school.
- An interactive and dynamic approach to Shakespeare that gets students on their feet and exploring the story.
- For Kindergarten – Grade 12, up to 30 students per Residency.
Fore more information, or to book a residency, please visit our Residencies page!
TD Shakespeare for Kids Library Club– Fall, Winter, and Spring Sessions
- A free readers’ theatre program for kids ages 7-12
- Magic, witches, ghosts, silly mix-ups, and swordplay in some of the greatest stories ever told!
- Explore plays such as The Comedy of Errors, Macbeth, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Romeo & Juliet, The Tempest, and Twelfth Night.
- Read aloud and play drama games and meet other Shakespeare fans!
- Led by professional actors and educators.
- Up to 24 participants per session.
Check our website for dates and locations!
The Shakespeare Challenge– April 6, 2016
For the past four years, community members from the corporate sector fearlessly took to the stage in productions of William Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream, The Tempest, Twelfth Night, and The Comedy of Errors to raise funds for Shakespeare In Action’s educational programming. Their generosity has helped to foster literacy, enhance creativity and promote speech arts for youth at risk in Toronto’s priority neighborhoods.
Play announcement and registration information coming soon! Check our website for updates!
Shakespeare Summer Camp for Kids and Young Company for Teens Summer Training Program
Kids will learn to act, sing, improvise, construct costumes, and design sets – all while having the time of their lives! The program runs for 2 weeks, Monday to Friday, from 9am to 4pm daily. Our team of highly skilled professional actors provide master-class level instruction. Kids perform their very own Shakespeare production for parents, extended family, and friends!
Teens will participate in a 4-week intensive training program in stage and film performance. Professional actors and directors lead workshops in theatre and film techniques. No drama or performance experience is required. Participants rehearse and perform one of Shakespeare’s more challenging plays. Teens are encouraged to develop their own interpretations of Shakespeare’s works to create and showcase a multi-media performance.